This post contains affiliate links
Today’s both national doughnut day AND national rocky road day!
Two awesome tasting foods are celebrated on the same day. When I first saw this I got to thinking though, there’s rocky road ice cream and rocky road cake, but why not rocky road donuts? Why not combine two great tasting flavours into one?
So after a while of thinking I came up with a recipe. I followed a basic doughnut recipe and tweaked it a bit to give that rocky road flavor.
Recipe : rocky road doughnuts
1. Simmer milk in a quart heavy sauce pan. Remove from heat and add granulated sugar and salt. Cool to lukewarm.
2. In a separate bowl dissolve yeast in warm water and stir until creamy. Let stand until foamy.
3. Add milk mixture to a large bowl and stir in 2 1/2 cups flour, 2 tablespoons oil, eggs, and yeast mixture until a very soft dough forms. Add flour to work surface and place dough on it. Knead dough until smooth and elastic. Transfer dough to another large bowl and sprinkle lightly with additional flour. Cover bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let dough rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled in bulk, ( 1 to 1/2 hours)
4. Place dough on floured surface and roll out using a rolling pin into 1/2 inch thick. Using the cookie cutter cut 2 inch circles. Place in a greased being sheet and allow to rise.
5. Heat 3 inches vegetable oil to 375° F in a deep frying pan. Fry each side for about 4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towes.
6. Poke a hole in the side of the doughnut and pipe marshmallow cream in.
7. Drizzle melted chocolates on the top of the doughnut and add chopped nuts!